Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 17   [ 404 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ralph Snart does 90's Hardcore and more Version 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm 

eh, too bad. I am going to see them in Boston with Deleted Scenes in a couple weeks. Curious how new Lybria will be, I think they've been working on a new album for a while.
Speaking of Chicago rock, Arctic Sleep just released a new full length. I just ordered the CD today. Have a listen, perhaps more consistently heavier than previously. But tough to tell from listening on my laptop only so far.

https://arcticsleep.bandcamp.com/album/passage-of-gaia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:56 pm 

I need to check out that arctic sleep.

anyhow, found this on bandcamp tonight, I hear a bit of hum in there

http://lunarbloom.bandcamp.com/album/lunar-bloom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 am 

The fark? Mineral played in Connecticut last night. MINERAL. One of my favorite emo bands of the 90's. I had no idea they were even doing shows again, I found out about it last night and couldn't get work off.

Totally bummed right now...

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:17 pm 

new open hand track:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:37 am 

Neutron, I'm actually considering flying out to Chicago for this one if the stars align correctly.

Some good Midwest rock right here;

12/31/14 at Subterranean

Pelican
The Life & Times
Pinebender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:05 pm 

Pinebender is still around?

That Open Hand sounds more QOTSA than ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 pm 

I think Pinebender just play out occasionally, especially special events and festivals. Baritone guitar man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:00 am 

Check out the new Aeges, guys...

One part QOTSA, one part Deftones, and one part all of the post-hardcore bands we know and love...

The digital version has some killer covers too, "She's a Tramp" by Cheap Trick, "Needle In The Hay" by Elliott Smith (serious, how man heavy bands do an Elliott Smith cover???), and a surprisingly good take on some Animosity era COC. Killer new album, one of the best this year has had to offer...

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:33 pm 

Dnice wrote:
Neutron, I'm actually considering flying out to Chicago for this one if the stars align correctly.

12/31/14 at Subterranean

Pelican
The Life & Times
Pinebender

Wow. That might be a thing. Not a huge fan of the venue, but thats a cool lineup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:12 am 

So there's a new Molly McGuire?

Its on spotify, if you use that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:22 am 

Mr Neutron wrote:
So there's a new Molly McGuire?

Its on spotify, if you use that.

Also bandcamp link below. Have not really known their music much to date, although know the name well.

The track with Epley is particularly pretty cool

http://mollymcguire.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:44 pm 

Not bright enough to link directly to it.
My favorite radio program from when I lived in Milwaukee:
Scroll down to the Nov 18th show, Craig played 2 arctic sleep songs, and did an interview. You can stream, or download.

http://theshapeofrock.blogspot.com/?view=classic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 pm 

Have you guys heard San Angelus? Good stuff, members of Shift, Pelican, Aeges, and a couple other bands I hadn't heard of. Very 90's post-hardcore sound.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:47 pm 

Dnice wrote:

12/31/14 at Subterranean

Pelican
The Life & Times
Pinebender

Bought show and plane tix for this last night.

Midwest rock in the Midwest, on NYE
Sort of the basis of this thread(s)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

Dnice wrote:
Dnice wrote:

12/31/14 at Subterranean

Pelican
The Life & Times
Pinebender

Bought show and plane tix for this last night.

Midwest rock in the Midwest, on NYE
Sort of the basis of this thread(s)

Right on. hope you have a kickass time. I might see TLAT & Local H the night before, but work prevents me from doing NYE, wouldve enjoyed tipping a cold one (or 6) with ya.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:26 pm 

No worries Neutron, for sure would throw some back. Who knows, maybe another shiner or hum show will get me back there.

Arriving in Chi-town on 12/31 at 9:30AM, leaving back to Boston on 1/1/14 at 6:30pm. Plan on drinking a lot and eating the best food Wicker Park area has to offer in that short span.

Neutron, if u have any food recommendations in Wicker Park area, feel free to pass on.

I've been to that neighborhood once before, but just for a few drinks during the day at one of the bars near the Milwaukee intersection, can't remember which joint though. I did walk by the Double Door. Led Zep 2 was playing that night, who I hear are a good and heavy Zep cover band. That was 5 years ago.

Was eyeing this BBQ place in that area online;
http://www.thesmokedaddy.com/

Also, I noticed you mention subterranean is not your favorite. Is it layout? Crowd? Sound? Curious what your thoughts are on that place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:43 pm 

I'm not Neutron, but I do live in Wicker Park. Smoke Daddy is a good place and there's a couple other barbecue places in the area should you wish to diversify.

I saw Uncle Acid at the Subterranean recently - my big issue with it is that like every small venue in Chicago they book it to absolute capacity and the layout is simply not conducive to large amounts of people. It's two floors, so the upper balcony is a good vantage point, but if you lose your spot you're kinda SOL. Also, narrow hallways everywhere. Sound is good in my opinion, but not amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:18 pm 

Nyarlathotep wrote:
I'm not Neutron, but I do live in Wicker Park. Smoke Daddy is a good place and there's a couple other barbecue places in the area should you wish to diversify.

I saw Uncle Acid at the Subterranean recently - my big issue with it is that like every small venue in Chicago they book it to absolute capacity and the layout is simply not conducive to large amounts of people. It's two floors, so the upper balcony is a good vantage point, but if you lose your spot you're kinda SOL. Also, narrow hallways everywhere. Sound is good in my opinion, but not amazing.

That's for the info dude. I'm def up for other BBQ places, I just noticed this place is close to the center of wicker park and a lot of decent reviews online. Feel free to advise others as well. Smoke Daddy's looks sort of small in terms of menu, so anything else is welcomed. Pizza/Burgers and good local/dive bars to wicker park too if u can.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm 

Well, the best dive bar at North and Damen is definitely the Flat Iron. No food, just pool and beer. As Satan intended.

For pizza, hit up Santullo's - it's a by-the-slice kind of place right near Double Door.

BBQ wise I don't have any other recommendations, sorry - not a big enough fan of Chicago-style to really have an opinion. I can tell you that none of them are spicy enough for me, but I don't think my BBQ priorities are really in order...

My absolute favorite restaurant in the area is Rangoli, which is a BYOB Indian restaurant notable for its extremely spicy food. Provided that's your thing, try the lamb vindaloo and enjoy maximum suffering/delight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm 

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Well, the best dive bar at North and Damen is definitely the Flat Iron. No food, just pool and beer. As Satan intended.

For pizza, hit up Santullo's - it's a by-the-slice kind of place right near Double Door.

BBQ wise I don't have any other recommendations, sorry - not a big enough fan of Chicago-style to really have an opinion. I can tell you that none of them are spicy enough for me, but I don't think my BBQ priorities are really in order...

My absolute favorite restaurant in the area is Rangoli, which is a BYOB Indian restaurant notable for its extremely spicy food. Provided that's your thing, try the lamb vindaloo and enjoy maximum suffering/delight.

Thanks so much, perfect recommendations. Flat Iron seems like a no brainer. Prob no doubt I'll try a slice at that Italian pizza joint too. sounds like NY style. I like spicy as well, but I just look for good flavor when it comes to BBQ, I usually ask for for hot BBQ sauce on the side. So prob give smoke daddy's a try. Any decent record/cd shops left in that area? Thanks again for the tips

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 am 

No problem! My relentless hedonism can at least help somebody out :P

Relentless Records is your best bet for CDs/vinyl/cassettes/etc. It's right at North and Damen and is pretty big... they have a pretty good metal selection though it's not their main focus. You can also take the train up to the California stop (two stops towards O'Hare, ~5 minutes, or about a mile walking) and stop at Bucket o' Blood (and make a side trip to next-door Revolution Brewing) - that's a good place though it's super tiny. I scored a copy of Fatal Portrait there in pretty good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:28 pm 

Nyarlathotep wrote:
No problem! My relentless hedonism can at least help somebody out :P

Relentless Records is your best bet for CDs/vinyl/cassettes/etc. It's right at North and Damen and is pretty big... they have a pretty good metal selection though it's not their main focus. You can also take the train up to the California stop (two stops towards O'Hare, ~5 minutes, or about a mile walking) and stop at Bucket o' Blood (and make a side trip to next-door Revolution Brewing) - that's a good place though it's super tiny. I scored a copy of Fatal Portrait there in pretty good condition.

The Pelican/Life&Times/Pinebender show in chicago was insanely good last night. Thanks so much for the Flat Iron suggestion. That place is a no brainer. I put $10 in the jukebox and listened to metal/stoner/sludge/noise/classic rock for a couple hours prior to the show, than went back after the show. I thought The Subtaranean was really fucking cool. And the sound was good. The whole vibe of the crowd, employees, and bands was really fun. If capacity is 375 at that place, there was maybe 175-200 last night, so we could walk around easily. Get to front of the stage anytime I wanted. We hit The Smoke Daddy yesterday afternoon. Cool place, good to really good BBQ, but not great, which is sort of what I expected. Totally dug it. Had a burger at Rudy's today in the loop, which was fantastic.

Pinebender were like shoe gaze trance like mellow space rock with elements of noise and heavy. Absolutely classic Midwest/Chicago rock. Totally into them. Cool dudes too. Life & Times sounded good as usual, but they played their latest album front to back, which is ok but not great, and 1 other song. Pelican destroyed. "Dead Between The Walls" might have been the best live rock song I've ever seen. Stopped in Reckless Records for a few minutes. What a unique joint.

I fucking love Chicago. Such a great city. This trip was all that and than some.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:50 am 

RalphSnart gave me a Pinebender album awhile back, and there was no turning back from there....

Great band.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm 

When Pinebender were playing the mellow parts to their songs, you could hear a fucking pin drop. Totally mesmerizing. Really cool band

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:48 pm 

Dnice wrote:
When Pinebender were playing the mellow parts to their songs, you could hear a fucking pin drop. Totally mesmerizing. Really cool band

Shit, that sounds amazing. Maybe I'll get to see them at some point in time. That would be pretty cool....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 17   [ 404 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next