Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kyuss Lives working on new album
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Just did a phoner with John Garcia and he said they started writing new material and hope to have it out next summer, maybe a little after. He's not sure yet who'll produce, but it won't be Scott Reeder or Chris Goss (though he had nothing but nice things to say about both of them).

Also, apparently Brant Bjork calls beer "pop," which is about the coolest shit I've ever heard.

Post subject: Re: Kyuss Lives working on new album
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:18 pm 

expectations are way low, and should be..hopefully they can capture some vibe..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 pm 

If they're going to record new material, why can't they just call the band something else? It's one thing for a revival thing, doing old material live; a little different if they intend to take it somewhere else...

Kyuss Lives, as a name, sucks.

Yeah, yeah, it's their band and they can call it what they want ... blah blah blah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

He actually didn't mention what name it'll be under, and I think it's interesting, because I can't imagine any label that puts it out will let them call it anything but Kyuss (no Lives). I recall when Alice in Chains was getting back together, they said they wanted to do it under a different name, but ultimately the label didn't let them call it anything but Alice in Chains.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 pm 

Yeah, name recognition isn't something to take lightly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:02 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
Also, apparently Brant Bjork calls beer "pop," which is about the coolest shit I've ever heard.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 pm 

h.p. taskmaster wrote:
He's not sure yet who'll produce, but it won't be Scott Reeder or Chris Goss (though he had nothing but nice things to say about both of them).

Call him back and let him know I'd be happy to help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 am 

I'd be happy to help as well.

I'm managing to see this twice between now and Thanksgiving and am pretty stoked about it really (I'd probably pay to see competent locals play an evening of Kyuss covers, this has John and Brant!). Although I agree that if they're going to be a creative unit going forward; change the band name to a song off of 'Blues' (the best album those guys played on). "50 Million Year Trip", "Freedom Run", you know something like that. No dibs on Mondo Generator unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 am 

They're cool but does'nt really feel like KYUSS without Josh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:50 am 

I would be more interested in Garcias solo album or a new Hermano-album. Kyuss left their mark and I don't think they can repeat that, even if Josh Homme were involved.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:28 am 

Agreed. Although I'd love to hear another Unida album.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am 

I am still hoping for a properly mastered double-vinyl-version of the lost Unida-album in 15 years or so. A new album, I don't dare to think of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:52 am 

What did he say about the Garcia vs. Garcia album that's been coming out since 2008?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:44 am 

Mr Red wrote:
IAlthough I agree that if they're going to be a creative unit going forward; change the band name to a song off of 'Blues' (the best album those guys played on). "50 Million Year Trip", "Freedom Run"

Good call.

'Kyuss Lives' is not a great band name and they have a catalog of awesome song titles to choose from.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Baron wrote:
What did he say about the Garcia vs. Garcia album that's been coming out since 2008?

He said it's in the back of his mind, that it's something he's always wanted to do, and that everything is on hold while Kyuss Lives is happening. Ditto Brant Bjork's solo stuff, was the impression I got. Everyone's made this their main priority in terms of music.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am 

I bet Elektra has got the name "Kyuss" and quite a few of its variations on legal lockdown...if true, they're gonna need to come up with a new name unless they resign with Elektra or they have a damn good lawyer who won't bleed them dry...

Legal issues aside, I'll probably do as I should have done with non-Layne AIC - buy the album but avoid the live show...non-Layne AIC bored the hell out of me live, but the album was fucking stout.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:33 am 

I am in the Alice In Chains camp who loved them from 1990 onward. Gave the new version a fair shake and love what they're doing too. Made peace with the old version being gone forever, and am capable of liking William DuVall just fine, the new studio album was great, and live they're tearing it up. That guy can sing any way you cut the cake.

I would prefer the new Kyuss album to be called Kyuss over Kyuss Lives. And I'd rather it be called Kyuss over a new made-up name. They've earned the right use their own name- even though Josh is not a part of it any longer. He made his bed, and that's fine. It should be fine for everyone else. But even though he was principle songwriter and his guitar tone was key to that band- the bass, drums, and vocals were also key. It was the four of them as a whole that made it what it was. They've had to replace one of the four, therefore to me they can still call it Kyuss, they have earned it. I am looking forward to hearing what they do for the next record, and am really psyched to be catching both the Pomona and San Diego shows coming up...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:46 pm 

Scrit wrote:
I am in the Alice In Chains camp who loved them from 1990 onward. Gave the new version a fair shake and love what they're doing too. Made peace with the old version being gone forever, and am capable of liking William DuVall just fine, the new studio album was great, and live they're tearing it up. That guy can sing any way you cut the cake.

I would prefer the new Kyuss album to be called Kyuss over Kyuss Lives. And I'd rather it be called Kyuss over a new made-up name. They've earned the right use their own name- even though Josh is not a part of it any longer. He made his bed, and that's fine. It should be fine for everyone else. But even though he was principle songwriter and his guitar tone was key to that band- the bass, drums, and vocals were also key. It was the four of them as a whole that made it what it was. They've had to replace one of the four, therefore to me they can still call it Kyuss, they have earned it. I am looking forward to hearing what they do for the next record, and am really psyched to be catching both the Pomona and San Diego shows coming up...

Problem is, there's no way they can win in this situation. If they have most Kyuss members and go under a new name, people will cry that they're trying to pull a fast one. If they use the name, then people will say they're just money grubbing and appealing to nostalgia. if they use the name of a Kyuss song for the band name, it seems like they're just sad and pathetic and doing the standard reunion shtick that has been done to death by hopeless people with no shame.

Seriously, the best scenario (which would still be bad) is to go under a different name and play a have different sound. Be a different band than Kyuss. But people will complain about that even and say why not just do some new Kyuss style tracks?

They should either do a trio with no guitar (Scott, Brant, John), or get a bunch of people and do some heavy shit with an Orquesta del Desierto flair. "Brass Band Doom" grab Grayceon, Boris and Blood Ceremony, grab some french horn players and do the whole Captain Planet (with our powers combined) shit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:16 pm 

I really like Black Gives Way to Blue. That said, and I understand I am probably the only one to feel this way about this, it was that album that made me realize I most preferred Cantrell's contributions to the band over Layne's.

In the case of Kyuss....Homme is one of my favorite pieces to that band that I am not sure a Kyuss reunion album without him will be as much a success in my eyes as the AIC one was.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 pm 

Problem is, there's no way they can win in this situation. If they have most Kyuss members and go under a new name, people will cry that they're trying to pull a fast one. If they use the name, then people will say they're just money grubbing and appealing to nostalgia. if they use the name of a Kyuss song for the band name, it seems like they're just sad and pathetic and doing the standard reunion shtick that has been done to death by hopeless people with no shame.

Those observations are full of truths. Yes. It goes to show that no matter WHAT you do, segments of the populace will piss and moan that it's not what they wanted or what they thought should have happened. Some people are never happy and can't be satisfied. So the current Kyuss line-up will have to do what feels right for them, and that's truly all that matters...
Now in my own opinion I give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Largely because, regardless of his great tones, songwriting, and all that's cool about his work over the years, Homme has evolved into such a ginger-Elvis egomaniac whose once cool vocals are now so saturated in cock-swinging arrogance you can't see through the Muck of Annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:33 pm 

Scrit wrote:
Now in my own opinion I give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Largely because, regardless of his great tones, songwriting, and all that's cool about his work over the years, Homme has evolved into such a ginger-Elvis egomaniac whose once cool vocals are now so saturated in cock-swinging arrogance you can't see through the Muck of Annoying.

True, I had never thought about how his newest schtick would effect anything Kyuss related were he to go that route. I guess I'd just have to hope that were he ever to rejoin Kyuss the rest of the band would smack some sense into him and bring him back to doing what he did best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:47 pm 

"a ginger-Elvis egomaniac whose once cool vocals are now so saturated in cock-swinging arrogance"

this is GOLD.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 pm 

Brant Bjork is one super cool dude. He will no doubt steer things in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:22 pm 

Scrit wrote:
Homme has evolved into such a ginger-Elvis egomaniac whose once cool vocals are now so saturated in cock-swinging arrogance you can't see through the Muck of Annoying.

LOL.... Don't you normally defend Ginger Elvis? Anyway, sweet quote!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:56 pm 

I know my thing is normally defending Bongzilla, you got my there. ;) And it's true I love most of what Homme's done. He has a hell of a catalogue of great records and songs. The vocal stylings I'm referring to can mostly be heard on his latest work, the Them Crooked Vultures record, and live. I'm probably in the minority who liked that record. There are some genius tunes on that one. But live especially, what he's doing now, it's like all that hip swinging/ sashaying is in his throat now too. His laid-back vocals on the first QotSA album I thought worked a lot better.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next