Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 11   [ 258 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Also, make with the death metal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 pm 

JkFlesh wrote:
If Fag Aspirin doesn't have any Asphyx yet I will personally kick him in the fucking nuts.

Downloading now; DON'T HURT ME OR GIVE ME AIDS!!1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 pm 

More newbie-inspired posting. I'm loving Incantation, Vastum, Asphyx, Origin, but still...nothing tops Morbid Angel yet for me. Nothing sounds quite the same...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:29 pm 

^ Vintage Morbid Angel is tough to beat...have you delved into anything from Bolt Thrower, Pestilence or Obituary?...a solid guide to cover a lot of ground would be Martin Van Drunen (a.k.a. the greatest death metal vocalist IMO)...everything the guy has done w/ Pestlience, Asphyx and Hail of Bullets is pretty damn mint...re: Bolt Thrower, IVth Crusade is a good place to start...as for Obituary, Cause of Death or Slowly We Rot are the shit...

+1 for Bongzilla's reference to an Anal Cunt song...well done, ma'am...also, for the fellow Asphyx fanboys, Van Drunen said last week the new album should be out early next year...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
Then check these out, pumpkin ;)

Immolation "Close to a World Below"

So it IS MD, eh? I was gonna send you a message to confirm but you disabled it, jerk. MD is the guy who turned me on to CTAWB. THE TRUTH OUTS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:40 pm 

I figured you mugs knew it was me, since I use the same gaywad typing style and shit, especially this fuckin' thing ----> ;)
I disabled PM's initially because I grew weary of defending Danno's non-banning of Slithertweak; you'd be surprised at the level of butthurt that fuckin' guy STILL causes...

"CTAWB" is a fucking masterpiece \m/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:03 pm 

Today was all about the new Origin. Goddamn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 pm 

More like Bore-igin ;)

I like 'em alright, they used to play here regularly; I don't know what they're like onstage these days, or who their drummer is (an important component in that band IMO)

Have you checked out Autopsy? KINGS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 pm 

Bongzilla wrote:
More like Bore-igin ;)

I like 'em alright, they used to play here regularly; I don't know what they're like onstage these days, or who their drummer is (an important component in that band IMO)

Have you checked out Autopsy? KINGS.

Yes, I have the new Autopsy. Good stuff. Hmmm, I'm a newbie for sure...but Origin is some absolutely amazing drumming; it's more tech death metal than I'm into so far, but has enough raw, primitive vibe to wow me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 am 

I believe Longstreth is still drumming for Origin. And, yeah, he's ridiculous.

BA, now move one back and check out their masterpiece, Antithesis.

One thing I love about this song (and Origin in general, though it's less prominent on the new one) is its intense connection to classical music. This song could be Bach's "Concerto for Electric Guitars, Bass, Drum Kit, and Screaming Dudes." Fuck Fleshgod Apocalypse, this is how it's done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 pm 

YES

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 am 

Fuck yeah to this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 pm 

Enjoying Mithras. Definitely has a Morbid Angel vibe going.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm 

black aspirin wrote:
YES

You can also hear Craig Pillard's smooth pipes on that new Disma record....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm 

If you have comparable death metal drum videos, please post them. This is fuckin' amazing. Thanks to LukeCubed for turning me on to them (how many bands do I owe you for now?).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 pm 

^ You and Origin need to get a damn room and have an Origy...kidding aside, sounds like Sandoval finally voiced his opinion of Morbid Angel's shit stain of a new album...thankfully, it sounds like a new Terrorizer album is in the works...

http://www.metalinsider.net/morbid-crit ... rbid-angel’s-drummer-isn’t-a-fan-of-illud-divinum-insanus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 am 

Check out Monstrosity's 'In Dark Purity'. Also, Asphyx, Pestilence and Autopsy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:16 pm 

Longstreth is one of the kings, no doubt. Also look into Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal, Nile, played with just about everyone though, and then quit metal... damn), Flo Mournier (Cryptopsy, who shit the bed Morbid Angel-style. But dude's still sick, think he's the guy on some of that Nader Sadek album), George Kollias (Nile) and Inferno (Behemoth). They've all got similar style vids up on the youtubes. You know about Sandoval and Hoglan already. Different genre, but Hellhammer (Mayhem) and Frost (Satyricon, 1349, Gorgoroth, Thorns) are pretty sick black metal drummers.

Speaking of Inferno--I like all types of death metal, but I think I like it best with a nasty dose of black. Adds a regal, venomous touch to the slithering slime. Inferno's other band, Azarath, has a new album, and it's pretty sick:

Still grokking it, but it's already getting heavy play here...

Last edited by lukecubed on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 pm 

lukecubed wrote:
Longstreth is one of the kings, no doubt. Also look into Derek Roddy (Hate Eternal, Nile, played with just about everyone though, and then quit metal... damn), Flo Mournier (Cryptopsy, who shit the bed Morbid Angel-style. But dude's still sick, think he's the guy on some of that Nader Sadek album), George Kollias (Nile) and Inferno (Behemoth). They've all got similar style vids up on the youtubes. You know about Sandoval and Hoglan already. Different genre, but Hellhammer (Mayhem) and Frost (Satyricon, 1349, Gorgoroth, Thorns) are pretty sick black metal drummers.

I've watched several videos of Derek Roddy on YouTube, and he blows me away. As for Mounier, I'm still digging the Nader Sadek album, so...

Also, I'm really familiar with Hellhammer and Frost...those guys are indeed unreal. I used to think that one of the parts on Satyricon's 'Volcano' album was the fastest double-bass ever, but now I think that either belongs to Longstreth (at least on the new album, still have to get the older ones) or to Sandoval on the song, 'Opening of the Gates' (from 'Gateways to Annihilation', my favorite MA album thus far)...the part at 1:26. My God.

I'm sure there are plenty of contenders that I have yet to hear.

Also, props to Metal and Beer, and heavythisaxe for the Origin puns. "Bore-igin', and that I should have an 'Origy'? THAT SHIT IS CLASSIC. (you dicks) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm 

not big into Origin, though I can appreciate the drummer's skills. I'm not into that nutechnical death stuff. I liked the scuzzier avant or the crossover black with shitty production. The production takes away from the atmospheric aural response. Like listening to Satriani in tap shoes. The drums way too clicky and distracting

With this said..go directly to Nuclear War Now and order http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=1720

and prepare to stain your spiderman underoos

(if anyone needs a 'sample' of this, let me know..fucking kills)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
I'm not into that nutechnical death stuff. I liked the scuzzier avant or the crossover black with shitty production. The production takes away from the atmospheric aural response. Like listening to Satriani in tap shoes. The drums way too clicky and distracting

You know, I used to feel exactly like this. But now... whatever. It's just a different approach. It's less atmospheric, more shred. There has to be a bit of balance on either side--I like Portal, Teitanblood, etc. but I'd argue Nile's got a ton of atmosphere too. When I want atmosphere, I tend to turn to black metal. When I want my teeth kicked in...

Not naysaying, I hear you, alot of stuff is too triggered for me. I just notice that my tolerance for it has actually increased recently and forced me to reevaluate.

NWN is pretty cool, they put out all the Kerasphorus stuff, who define "black/death" better than anyone, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
not big into Origin, though I can appreciate the drummer's skills. I'm not into that nutechnical death stuff. I liked the scuzzier avant or the crossover black with shitty production. The production takes away from the atmospheric aural response. Like listening to Satriani in tap shoes. The drums way too clicky and distracting

Man, I honestly hate clicky drums...but for some reason, I don't consider Origin's to be over-the-line. One of the best parts of the album is the groove part at 3:31 of this song. Oh yes.

For the record, I'm more into the scuzzy style myself, and don't think tech death will be something I'm normally drawn to. Origin, at least so far, has the right blend of both for me.

That's why I love Morbid Angel so much thus far...even though it can be unbelievably fast and intense, there's a doom vibe to it that I don't get from a lot of death metal. They got it just right. I even normally hate pinch harmonics, but somehow they make it work without making them annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am 

FUCK YES w/ the Nuclear War Now...very good stuff...also, recently got into Bones - an OSDM/thrash band consisting of ex-members of Usurper...Sanford Parker nailed the production on their new album...those who dig the tech-ier stuff might dig this album as their is a surprising amount of attention paid to precision despite the OSDM vibe...

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/05 ... lf-titled/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am 

This one rips:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:32 am 

wait til this fucker drops..

http://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcam ... h-and-life

(couldnt imbed the player?..so here's the link)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 11   [ 258 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next