Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: What the hell
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:29 am 

ATH and MeteorCity are both fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am 

"So basically when it was figured out that the site couldn't be brought back quickly and easily from databases and backups, the logical decision was not to invest the amount of time and waste resources bringing it back."

Yeah whatever it was that brought it down initially, I'm sure he already had an idea that he was gonna shut it down at some point and focus on the store/label. Everyone saw the dumbing down of the goddamn site and I'm sure his attitude was like-- fuck this...why should I pay for this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 am 

Arzgarth wrote:

So they both weren't hosted on the same server as the forums were?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:40 am 

/ez wrote:
Arzgarth wrote:

So they both weren't hosted on the same server as the forums were?

That I do not know, but ATH and MC were his livelihoods, whereas SR.com, as mentioned earlier and elsewhere, was a financial and time drain.

And as ATH is a business, it's in his best interest to have top shelf security. Hence the bit on the left hand side of this page: https://secure.allthatisheavy.com/aboutus.asp.

Again, I have no inside knowledge so feel free to dismiss this. But based on conversations I've had with Dan in the past, I highly doubt ATH and MC were as vulnerable as SR.com.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 am 

What dinger and Arz said are probably closer to the mark than Dan just pulling the plug. The site had been attacked/shut down before, so I think this time he just determined the effort/time/$$$ to bring it back up weren't worth it. That's my theory anyway.

The guy put a lot of time and care into the site/scene and I'm sorry to see it ended in the way it did, but to say we weren't warned or not told about money issues is a bunch of bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 pm 

Dan was blindsided by the site going down. It wasn't planned in any way. If he was going to pull the plug, dinger, JJ, and I would've known about it in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm 

The contributors who gave to the site are still around and posting on their normal sites. The spirit of stonerrock.com will live on. The physical aspect of it means that you now have to visit a few different sites for your complete kick. Sites like Captain Beyond, Heavy Planet, The Obelisk, (shameless plug) The Soda Shop and Doomantia. Simple RSS feeds will solve that and allow you to use a reader.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 pm 

He MUST have backups. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least the Album Reviews make it to the ATH site...

I just donated , what-- 2 weeks before the shutdown? AWESOME!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:58 pm 

GodShifter wrote:
Perhaps the perpetrators were the people that didn't contribute?

As far as supporting the community/donations, I probably sent about $50 a month w/o purchasing anything. So if it's the $ deal that brought down sr.com, I don't have a guilty conscience whatsoever.

my hero...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 pm 

I think justin ( I know thats a bad word but hear me out guys.) may have had something to do with it. I mean who else would benefit the most from just pure meanness than that douche turd?

Last edited by kyussapple on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm 

kyussapple wrote:
I think justin ( I know thats a bad word but hear me out guys.) may have had something to do with it. I mean who else would benefit the most from just pure meanness that that douche turd?

If it would have been that easy for that guy to pull off a coup like that-- especially him--don't you think it would have been done a hundred times already?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:32 pm 

kyussapple wrote:
I think justin ( I know thats a bad word but hear me out guys.) may have had something to do with it. I mean who else would benefit the most from just pure meanness that that douche turd?

I don't think he's knowledgable enought to hack websites. The only way he was behind it is if he had someone else do it for him, which seems unlikely as I doubt that dude can convince too many people to do much of anything for him. He's just not Evil Mastermind material.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
GodShifter wrote:

As far as supporting the community/donations, I probably sent about $50 a month w/o purchasing anything. So if it's the $ deal that brought down sr.com, I don't have a guilty conscience whatsoever.

my hero...

Do you always have to be an ass?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm 

willb wrote:
Karl Hungus wrote:
GodShifter wrote:

my hero...

Do you always have to be an ass?

So it would seem. Who was he on sr.com?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm 

Hoodoo Operator wrote:
kyussapple wrote:

If it would have been that easy for that guy to pull off a coup like that-- especially him--don't you think it would have been done a hundred times already?

Well I am not saying him, but he could have altered the mind of some buttrock loving hacker kid, or it might ( a far stretch, but who knows ) of been misskitty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:46 pm 

Mr Red wrote:
Jesus' Son wrote:
I feel a bit robbed. WHy weren't we warned if it was money issues? They could have at least allowed people to say goodbye, not just snatch the rug out from under our feet. I understand that everything which could have been done has been but still.....

We were all warned about money issues in April. Everyone jumped in and contributed then, then after six months their supporter status(es) expired, nobody re-upped and the website went away. Pretty simple to trace really.

I actually gave my second round of money for community supporter a couple of weeks before the crash. (Which also happened on my birthday... some present...)I'm not worried about losing $20, but I would love to get the real story about what happened. Even if they don't want to name a specific individual for noteriety reasons, they could at least say, "yeah... it was a douchebag hacker, and the site, all backups, and server were fucked up". Even though this is most likely the case, an official statement would be cool. Still, I can't ever say anything bad about el danno and the great job that was done with sr.com. it will be missed. Lots of great bands and people on there... thanks for giving us lost souls a place to chat for all those years.

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:36 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
GodShifter wrote:

my hero...

Explain to me, please, how my comment elicited that type of a response? I fail to see it, quite frankly ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm 

GodShifter wrote:
Karl Hungus wrote:
GodShifter wrote:

my hero...

Explain to me, please, how my comment elicited that type of a response? I fail to see it, quite frankly ...

Consider the source, Jason. Consider the source.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:44 pm 

I just don't see why a person I've had fairly good exchanges with and, overall, goodwill towards would make such a sarcastic response to something like that.

As I said, I put my money AND my time (a good portion of it mind you) into sr.com because I believed in it. I'm not looking for kudos or a pat on the pack. I was just merely stating what I did towards the cause. Because others didn't feel (or could not) contribute didn't make me feel any differently about them nor did I ever call anyone out for not doing so. If anything, I offered to help others become community supporters if they wanted to be so.

I don't understand a comment like that from someone I thought was alright and him me unless (highly possible here) he never really liked me in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:47 pm 

relax..o sensitive one

I think alot of people have done alot for that site, with purchases, donating and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:50 pm 

Karl Hungus wrote:
relax..o sensitive one

I think alot of people have done alot for that site, with purchases, donating and whatnot.

Yep. Unquestionably so.

I never once said I was the sole reason sr.com existed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm 

duly noted to never be sarcastic with you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:55 pm 

ah .. yeah, you can brush it off as I took it wrong (if you want) ... a few others obviously did too ...

but, hey, fuck me if I can't take a joke, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:57 pm 

Godshifter, check your bmail... I mean pm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:16 pm 

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next