Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What the hell
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm 

Happened to SR.com? Surely this cannot be the end? At the very least will their be a way to continue the reviews and other things just maybe move the material to a new domain? That simple fact that not only have we lost a community whose music taste was phenomenal but we lost all the underground access to bands a lot of us would have never discovered otherwise. Hopefully this situation will fix itself through new forums gaining the leftovers of SR but still...

I feel a bit robbed. WHy weren't we warned if it was money issues? They could have at least allowed people to say goodbye, not just snatch the rug out from under our feet. I understand that everything which could have been done has been but still.....

it blows mighty hard.

Post subject: Re: What the hell
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:29 pm 

I'd guess from his message the site was attacked, wiped out and had no back up. Danno woulda gave notice and got back up's if he was gonna pull the plug. A huge part of the guys life wiped out. At least we can buy some stuff from All Thats Heavy and support him and Mrs. Danno. Fucked, Fucked FUCKED!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:33 pm 

yeah..i hope all the refugees wash ashore..im sure some wont make it. this place has filled that gaping hole very nicely for me..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 pm 

mortlock wrote:
yeah..i hope all the refugees wash ashore..im sure some wont make it. this place has filled that gaping hole very nicely for me..

Gaping hole...delicious

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm 

The "contributors" - some quite recent - that sent didge for the "digs" were probably taken for granted it does seem- they certainly may not have been acknowledged for TRYING to help along the way. Whatever happened is too bad and water over the damn. But to say "THIS IS THE LAST BLAH BLAH" is kinda a slap in the face. I know. boo-hoo. But seriously. The seriously part- thanks for the memories! Obviously, move on...but it feels a little dirty the way it all ended in a one-sided way. You give money, they pull the plug. Syanora. Eh. whatever.

I'm sure I'm simplifiying it and it was brewing for awhile but still, man. Ah fuck>

good time of the year to pull the plug at least. Onto 2011

/venting/off

Last edited by HeavyEar on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 am 

Who would want to attack and maim SR? I don't understand whats to gain from that and really how that would be done? MEh. Yeah I don't just see why they can't at least maybe move around some things or wait out for the cash but whatever. The decisions have already been made it seems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:18 am 

i cant help but feel like it had something to do with that thread about hit girl that i started..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:27 am 

who was hit girl? A Japanese robot-artificial inteligence poster me thinks/ I certainer never saw her junk but once in a while thought about it/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:28 am 

hit girl was an inside job

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:29 am 

Dinger wrote:
hit girl was an inside job

thats what im saying..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:44 am 

I like inside jobs. Outdoors ones too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 am 

ufos are outdoor jobs..so was jfks assassination..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 am 

I avoided the general discussion forum like the plague this year, but I'm definitely going to miss the jam room in a big way. I feel sorry for anyone that contributed to become a supporting member right before the site vanished, but now I don't feel so bad for letting my status lapse the last month. All that "we don't want to give the perpetrators any satisfaction" business was curious, but there were enough wackadoo there lately that nothing would surprise me. Regardless, shame to see it go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 am 

Jesus' Son wrote:
I feel a bit robbed. WHy weren't we warned if it was money issues? They could have at least allowed people to say goodbye, not just snatch the rug out from under our feet. I understand that everything which could have been done has been but still.....

We were all warned about money issues in April. Everyone jumped in and contributed then, then after six months their supporter status(es) expired, nobody re-upped and the website went away. Pretty simple to trace really.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 am 

I can see where the money thing would become an issue. Mine expired and I couldn't find shit to buy in ATIH that I actually wanted. My use had tapered off as there wasn't much going on but butthurt and drama on GD. The only part that seems odd about it all to me is the following statement:

We are not revealing any details about what happened because we don't want to give the perpetrators any satisfaction or notoriety.

What do you make of that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 am 

Perhaps the perpetrators were the people that didn't contribute?

As far as supporting the community/donations, I probably sent about $50 a month w/o purchasing anything. So if it's the $ deal that brought down sr.com, I don't have a guilty conscience whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 am 

I think it was Jotun who suggested on foreverdoomed forum that it happened on the same day that the US govt. hackers (is that CIA, FBI, NSA?) hacked the servers that served wikileaks, and maybe one system of them was used by El Danno/Sr.com?

Seemed probable to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 am 

I know I spent money buying cd's, almost every month. So I had hoped it would still continue. However, I'd love to know the real reason it went under.

If it was money issues, I'm ok with that --as long as the truth is revealed, I'll continue buy from ATIH.

Last edited by willb on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 am 

I don't see how taking down the reviews forum could in any way be beneficial to ATiH considering practically every item in the store linked to a review thread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 am 

I take Danno's statement at face value, there have been a lot of dirtbag trolls at the site and it seemed to get worse of the past year. That one of these trolls turned out to be a legit hacker or to know a legit hacker would not surprise me, that one of them got pissed off and let loose bad juju that fried the site would not surprise me. And there are sites where one can post a URL and get a site fried just on a whim, there are people who can and will destroy sites for no reason whatsoever.

Reading any more into it and casting aspersions is pretty douchey, and I don't like it. I see no reason for Danno to lie about the shutdown of the sites, if he couldn't afford it, if the thing was too much of a pain in the ass, I don't think anyone would have minded if he closed up shop. He was paying for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 am 

Maybe it was Hit Girl??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 am 

Well I think it would be wise that anyone writing reviews save'm at home as a doc incase anything happens to this, (or any other), site. I'm hoping JJ, Dinger et. al. have some stuff they may post review wise. BUT I can see that this place needs to grow organically and not just have the same content as SR.com even tho I bounced up alotta stuff I put up there.

I hope as a collective we can get our hands on all the new and re-releeased stuff people would like to know about.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 am 

Did they refuse to do business with Wikileaks? just saw some news preview story on tv about a load of websites being destroyed by 'hackivists'...doubt its linked though.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 am 

You guys are missing one crucial bit of the puzzle.

The site has a physical manifestation, called a SERVER. It's actually housed on a real computer with a LOT of memory somewhere, along with a lot of other sites.

Which means, it's not necessarily an attack on the site that brought it down, but an attack on the SERVER. When I worked for an internet company, we had this problem a lot until we got our own server, some idiot would hack into the server looking for databases of credit card numbers and such, and inevitably bring our site down in all the resulting mess when the server melted down.

Part of it is obviously financial. Dan hinted that the site made no money, and was a drain on the resources of All That Is Heavy and Meteorcity, but more importantly, any time he devoted to the forums took away from his livelihood, All That Is Heavy and Meteorcity.

So basically when it was figured out that the site couldn't be brought back quickly and easily from databases and backups, the logical decision was not to invest the amount of time and waste resources bringing it back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:26 am 

So with the site being shutdown is ATH going into the shitter as well? Will we still get updates on re-stocks and new releases? I sure hope not, I don't like jumping around from label to label buying my music. Having a near one stop shop is nice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next