Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Should there be another Emissions or Emissions-like fest...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 am 

...in memoriam to the original stonerrock site?

Post subject: Re: Should there be another Emissions or Emissions-like fest
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:34 am 

A bunch of us went to this last year and it has real potential, at least as a regional draw.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doom-in-J ... 4236356638

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am 

I missed that. I was too busy watching my father die slowly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:00 am 

That Doom in June looks pretty, Stickman! The first year I joined the-windbag-hog-farmers-site-Stonerrock.com-that-went-tit's-to-hell. waaaassssss ShOD PDX 2003? Migh-tee-fine. So whatever is like that, or something.

p.s. Anyone see Mr. Red ?- the best Live Reviewer of alllll-time. He always had a radar on the shows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 am 

Yeah, I think Doom in June is probably gonna be it. Either that or all the stoner rock related stuff that goes on at SxSW. I think being in close proximity to Cali is important because that is still pretty much ground zero for a lot of the quality stoner rock stuff.

Nate Carson runs the excellent Fall into Darkness fest every October in Portland, but it caters to more extreme doom and black metal type of stuff. He still had a shit-hot stoner rock night this last year though, featuring Earthless and Danava. Tough to beat that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am 

I've flirted with the idea of doing one out here in Western MA, we've got a great club for it, but I'm still on the limb about going through with it. I'd probably have it in the fall...

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:02 am 

Part of Emmisions charm was it was happening when the genre itself had some up and comers and that Greg didn't particularly like orthodox stoner stuff, or at least wasn't interested in a "StonerquaStoner" event overall and would toss some other stuff at cha. Also there was a real estate "location,location,location" aspect to going to fucking YOUNGSTOWN,- and not the pretty part either :).

You were inessence, "going in". There wasn't a "casual" aspect to attending. There was NOTHING else happening within 100 miles, it was cheep to get a hotel, it was relatively easy to get to and the bar itself was a great place and you could lay into a decent drunk for 20 bux. This set a real mindset and i think its hard to get that under "normal" gig conditions no matter how great the bands.

BUT I'd sure go to something and i'm not being negative towards other events.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:05 am 

To make another event worthy of being compared to Emissions, you're going to need:

- At least four years to build awareness and commitment
- A great club in a centralized location
- Money to burn

The Maine Stoner/Doom fest was a lot of fun and I'm grateful Tony put it on, but because Maine is at the top of the Northeast, all bands travelled the same route to get there, and I'd guess people in NY or Boston would rather see the touring bands in their home towns than drive 2 – 6 hours to Portland. Youngstown was perfect in that bands could book tours from all directions and meet up in Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:05 am 

omind wrote:
You were inessence, "going in". There wasn't a "casual" aspect to attending. There was NOTHING else happening within 100 miles, it was cheep to get a hotel, it was relatively easy to get to and the bar itself was a great place and you could lay into a decent drunk for 20 bux. This set a real mindset and i think its hard to get that under "normal" gig conditions no matter how great the bands.

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:13 am 

I'll probably be skipping 2011 for Dallas Doom Daze. Too much else going on & too little funding.

*sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 am 

In my OP I mention Emissions, but being like Emissions isn't so much the point.
Having a gathering with music to mourn the passing of the original site and celebrate that the community endures is. Like a wake and a birthday party rolled into one.
Co-opting some existing event would probably be the easiest choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am 

100% agree with omind. Emissions worked because it was in a great club/good vibe in a city where there was nothing else to do. I don't think Doom In June did it for me because frankly, as an out-of-towner, I wanted to play and then get the hell out of there and hit the strip for some gambling.

And then there's the whole "venue trying to take a cut of the bands merch" scenario on top of it. I mean really, this isn't a Metallica concert. We may sell 4 shirts and a few CDs. Why would I want to mark up my prices for an audience that, let's face it, isn't necessarily made of money, just so I can give the club a percentage. I shouldn't have to sell merch out of my van. Greg would have never done this. <steps off soapbox>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 am 

cas wrote:
And then there's the whole "venue trying to take a cut of the bands merch" scenario on top of it. I mean really, this isn't a Metallica concert. We may sell 4 shirts and a few CDs. Why would I want to mark up my prices for an audience that, let's face it, isn't necessarily made of money, just so I can give the club a percentage. I shouldn't have to sell merch out of my van. Greg would have never done this. <steps off soapbox>

Yeah, fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 am 

cas wrote:

WTF?!?!?!
That's fucking disgusting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:10 am 

That is lame. Damn. It still won't stop me from going if the lineup is good enough though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]