Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: is MySpace dying?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:28 am 

I write for a chilean webzine, and I'm normally checking around for news on metal bands; MySpace was a major source since a lot of bands / labels used to post news and updates on their bands, albums, etc.

But now, after this new and horrible MySpace layout came, I've noticed a number of bands moving to Facebook or other "social media" sites. And I've seen less activity in some cases.

So, I'm wondering, for those of you who are in bands or labels, are you considering leaving MySpace? Do you think the whole thing will die, at least as an usefull tool to interact with bands / labels / fans of rock & metal?

Post subject: Re: is MySpace dying?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 am 

The short answer: yes. Myspace was on the decline, and instead of rebooting, decided to pretty much put the proverbial nails in their coffin with the new format, which frankly teabags donkey gnards.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am 

I haven't considered MySpace a viable social network for a while now. With the increased popularity of Facebook and sites like Reverbnation to host music, there's no need for it. Even when I did update MySpace regularly, I found it very buggy and cumbersome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 am 

Dinger wrote:
The short answer: yes. Myspace was on the decline, and instead of rebooting, decided to pretty much put the proverbial nails in their coffin with the new format, which frankly teabags donkey gnards.

The latest update is a big pile of shit, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am 

Myspace is on it's last leg. I go on the site to hear some new tunes, but I don't even log into my account when I go on the site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 am 

I can't stand myspace these days. I almost never go on there. Very slow, lots of bugs, and the new format really does suck ass!

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 am 

I'm loving the fact that Rupert Murdoch paid $580 million for it before MySpace shit the bed, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 pm 

Myspace is dying from bad marketing. Facebook has outpaced it of late because more people are accessing social networking sites from mobile devices, for which facebook is ideal because it runs so fast on smartphones & the like. The idiots at myspace, instead of realizing this, have chosen to become more like facebook thinking the issue to be a preferential quirk rather than a technological loophole. This goes without saying how bad an idea it is to completely mirror one's competitor. It's marketing suicide, but that's almost beside the point... almost. The new format may actually be a semi-lucid attempt at making band profiles load faster in light of the new tech, but it's too little, too late. They might've saved themselves if they'd remained loyal to what users they had left. If they had just held on, been conservative about their dealings, and stayed the course, the mobile technology would've caught up. But they chose to hit the panic button instead. What really pissed me off is the number of musicians & artists who relied on myspace for exposure & have now been left out in the cold. The new profile design was acceptable when it was merely an option, but it's bullshit to now have it foisted upon anyone who runs a music page (I run four). I haven't even bothered to beautify my new band profile since the forced change, partly out of laziness, but also because leaving my band profile that ugly hospital-white seems a fitting kind of silent protest, at least for now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:30 pm 

i hate myspace but i use it because its more 'band' friendly than facebook. maybe that is changing..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:34 pm 

Myspace has been dead to me for two years now...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm 

myspace does truly suck now, the new layout and all that just totally killed it. i'm concentrating way more on facebook, reverbnation and last.fm to promote my music. i'll keep a myspace page just because, but i don't ever go there anymore. they fucking blew it big time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm 

You just watch, in a couple years we'll be having this same conversation about FB. I decided to stop fighting these trends (memes) and just go along for the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm 

scarab cadaver wrote:
myspace does truly suck now, the new layout and all that just totally killed it. i'm concentrating way more on facebook, reverbnation and last.fm to promote my music. i'll keep a myspace page just because, but i don't ever go there anymore. they fucking blew it big time.

Couldn't agree more with this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 pm 

"What really pissed me off is the number of musicians & artists who relied on myspace for exposure & have now been left out in the cold. The new profile design was acceptable when it was merely an option, but it's bullshit to now have it foisted upon anyone who runs a music page "

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm 

Myspace was on it's last legs as mentioned and new layout = nail in coffin as mentioned.

To bad cuz I tried to use it to find bands and keep track of bands touring my area. Now it's just useless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm 

Damocles74 wrote:
You just watch, in a couple years we'll be having this same conversation about FB. I decided to stop fighting these trends (memes) and just go along for the ride.

oh yeah, i'm sure at some point something will come along to replace facebook, and on and on and on. that's how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 pm 

myspace has become unbearable. i deleted my personal account about a year back, but i still use it for the band. it's slow, buggy, and no matter how much i try, i can't change profile information. i'm thinking of moving over to bandcamp eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:09 pm 

i never used created a myspace page for my band. i never liked the layout, and i never liked the fact that rupert murdoch bought it. perhaps i'm lucky because i have a friend who runs a server that allows us to host our website for free, but we put enough effort into making our website look good that myspace was never necessary for us. we can upload 30 minute sets without a glitch, and we can create our own design. i had a personal myspace account only because people were using myspace so much a few years ago that it was a necessary promotional tool. now, it's obsolete.

i was a little late getting on facebook but i prefer it much more to myspace, for many of the reasons stated above (faster, better layout, accessibility through smart phones, etc). of all the social networking sites, it seems to have the best approach, which is why it has taken off and buried myspace.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:58 pm 

I haven't even bothered to beautify my new band profile since the forced change, partly out of laziness, but also because leaving my band profile that ugly hospital-white seems a fitting kind of silent protest, at least for now.

wow you are just like her.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:23 pm 

The new layout blows. It's long ceased to be a personal network site for most people I know, like people said, it was just for bands lately, and once they start bailing, it's over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 pm 

... and so facebook just changed the layout too... what's wrong with these people?

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:56 pm 

I used it for music mostly, as a fan and band. But Myspace has been so glitchy for the past couple years, and especially the last few months, I hardly ever use it anymore. It is spam central now, and now that pretty much everyone else has abandoned it, a once valuable resource for connecting with other bands, promoters, bookers and people is basically useless. Sucks!

http://www.last.fm/music/Sea+of+Bones
http://www.last.fm/music/Neurospora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:02 pm 

I always thought it was ugly and a strange setup. I suppose it was easier than making a webpage for your band and keeping it updated.... but still, a band that promo'ds with myspace seemed kind of lazy and amateurish to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:50 pm 

I don't see anything wrong with a band having a myspace, I just don't like the "friendbot" software some bands use.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:53 pm 

MadJohnShaft wrote:
I always thought it was ugly and a strange setup. I suppose it was easier than making a webpage for your band and keeping it updated.... but still, a band that promo'ds with myspace seemed kind of lazy and amateurish to me.

almost every band lists their myspace page. take a look at relapse, for example. every single band advertised for them has their myspace page listed. i would say 98% of all ads in magazines for bands list their myspace page. it's just a routine thing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next